Once a year, you have the possiblity to apply for the Master of Science Intelligent Adaptive Systems at Universität Hamburg, Germany.
The application period for the winter term intake each year for all students is
February 15 – March 31
Please, also check this website and the Wiki close to February. Application requirements may change.
This website is currently under construction (September 2019)
We aim at offering the courses to a wide range of students. Applicants should have a strong background in computer science or a related field since programming and mathematical knowledge is assumed. To apply to the Master in Intelligent Adaptive Systems, you have to fulfill the following requirements:
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field insofar as 60 ECTS credit points were acquired in the core field of computer science (without maths, core engineering, soft skills, electrical engineering courses, economics … )
- Proof of English language proficiency by (or comparable to):
- CEFR/TELC Level B2
- IELTS 6.5
- TOEFL (IBT 90, PBT 575, CBT 230)
- Cambridge CAE or CPE
Please send only applications, which meet both of the formal requirements. A very detailed explanation of the formal requirements and how you evidence both can be found in our wiki.
If you are not sure whether you meet the formal requirements, please ask the IAS Team (ias-team ‚At‘ informatik.uni-hamburg.de ) before the application period starts. As a service to you, we offer from June – January a preliminary quick check of your transcript and self-made table evidencing 60 ECTS – please send both via email.
The following documents are required to be sent by all applicants, and the application will only be considered complete if all 9 parts have been submitted via postal mail.
Send the following required documents by postal mail to the address given below:
- Cover-letter-form as the first page of your application (to be downloaded here shortly before the application period starts)
- A letter of motivation written by yourself in the English language (max. 1.5 pages) in which you explain your choice of course and place of study regarding your academic and professional aims and experience so far.
- BSc certificate (can be preliminary)
- Transcript of records (and diploma supplement)
- Official document(s) containing your grade (can be preliminary) with the degree’s grading scale ( minimum passing grade and the maximum grade in numbers)
- Table (self-made) with CS subjects of your transcript evidencing 60 ETCS. The table should contain 1. the name of the course as it appears in your transcript, 2. a short description of the course’s Computer Science contents, 3. the corresponding credit points (CP) and/or hours (CH) of the course you have completed. 4. Additionally, state the total amount of CP/CH of your degree and the total amount
of CP/CH of your Computer Science courses. Make sure that the courses you list can be found in your transcript or other official documents of your university. See the wiki for more information and example.
- Proof of English language proficiency (see minimum proficiency test scores)
- Curriculum Vitae (table version) containing all of your relevant experience (academic, work, international, private …) + your grade and min/max passing grade
- The University’s printed and signed application form (STiNE)
|Please send all documents to:|
Dr. Annika Peters
Department of Informatics / WTM / F-214
The wiki contains very good instructions for your application – please read carefully.
Please check if you have sent all required documents in due time. The deadline is the 31 of March. There is no postal mail service on Sundays. Faxes and e-mails are not accepted. We do not inform you of missing documents or late applications. Your application is considered incomplete if one or more of the required documents are not received before the deadline (via postal mail) or if your STiNE online application form is not submitted online. As a result, your application will not take part in the selection process. There will be no reconsideration of your application. Please, also note, that we do not inform you about received mail (letters, parcels, envelopes) – Please check with your postal mail provider if you like an acknowledgment.
Usually, the number that fulfills the requirements exceeds the number of available spaces for this Master’s course, the applications are selected using the following criteria:
The quality of the motivational letter, in particular concerning your education, further professional qualification, relevant experience, and why IAS/UH/Hamburg/Germany. This may also include a phone/email interview.
The result of the highest obtained degree and the comparability of its content to the BSc “Informatik” at the Universität Hamburg (CV and official documents must contain your grade with grading scale).
Relevant professional and international experience gained through study or work abroad (a clear CV and LoM is vital)
The criteria are rated individually and then combined, with 1. accounting for 40% and the 2. and 3. 30% each.
The IAS Team is happy to answer all your question via email, phone, or in-person but please ask before the application period starts (ias-team ‚At‘ informatik.uni-hamburg.de).
More detailed information on the entire application process can be found in our Wiki. Please read carefully. This might make all the difference for your application.